I wanted to give out gingerbread men to my son’s friends for his birthday trip to the Night Safari.
But after decorating a couple, I thought it would be more fun if the kids could do it themselves. They didn’t need to contend with the mess of making the cookies but could decorate them and get to the eating much faster.
In a very pretty cookie bag I put:
- one gingerbread man
- one star cookie
- one packet of M&Ms
- one tube of icing
- candy cane thrown in in case gingerbread man needed some support.
- simple instructions on decorating the cookies when the child got home.
I bought the cookie bags from Phoon Huat in Simei and the icing tubes from Cold Storage in Tampines.
Here’s the recipe for the gingerbread
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 160C, grease cookie sheet
- Sift flour, ginger, allspice, baking soda into a large bowl
- Place butter, corn syrup, brown sugar in a saucepan over low heat and stir until melted
- Pour onto dry ingredients and add egg
- Mix together to make dough
- Roll out the dough on floured surface to about 3 mm thick and stamp out gingerbread men shapes
- Place on cookie sheet
- Place currants/dried blueberries for eyes
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes until firm and browned
The recipe can be used to make other shapes as I used the left over dough to make stars because it would not be enough to get a complete figure. I’m planning to make good use of all the cookie shapes I’ve accumulated over the years. Another day, another project! Happy making!