These cookies don’t look like much, small brown lumps that look like they can break your teeth. But they’re wonderfully chewy. The kids love them and since they’re made of oats, I can pretend they’re healthy.
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, plus extra for greasing
- scant 1 1/3 cups raw brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 1/3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and grease a large cookie sheet
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the egg, water, and vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix the oats, flour, salt and baking soda together. Gradually stir the oat mixture into the butter mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Put tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto the prepared cookie sheet, making sure they are well spaced. Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool before serving.