Following KK’s post on Chewy Lime Sugar Cookies, I was inspired to try the lemon version. This was great! They are indeed chewy and quite addictive.
It was a tad sweet for me though, even though I didn’t roll them in the extra sugar before baking. However, at the last stage, i poured in some citrus peel cos I like the added texture.
I think macadamia nuts would have been a perfect accompaniment. Next time!
The recipe, from My Baking Addiction:
Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies
YIELD: 24-30 Cookies
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of one large lemon, finely minced
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar for rolling cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Using a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and very fluffy.
4. Beat in egg, vanilla extract, lemon juice and lemon zest.
5. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
6. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and roll in sugar. Place on lined cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart.
7. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned.
8. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.