I’m always looking for new recipes to spice up breakfast for the kiddies because well, it’s the most important meal of the day.
I came across this jalapeno, sausage, Jack and egg breakfast braid recipe and it looked so yummy.
I couldn’t quite manage the braids because it was time consuming and I’m all for fast and easy.
But I realised it doesn’t have to be exactly the same.
So mine’s a bit slapdash but it’s totally edible and tastes pretty good.
You can also adjust the ingredients as you wish as long as they can fit inside the dough.
The only ingredient that has to follow strict proportions is the making of the dough.
I also dropped the jalapenos from the recipe because my children don’t like spicy food but you can add them or some capsicum.
- 1 portion pizza dough (see recipe here)
- Cooking spray or oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 4-5 sausages, depending on size (I’ve used chicken chipolata and bratwurst)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten (save a tablespoon to brush on top of the dough)
- cheese (grated or sliced is fine)
- capsicum or jalapenos
1. Preheat oven to 425° (around 220 degrees Celsius).
2. Oil tray and pat pizza dough into 15×30 cm rectangle.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sausage; cook 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in eggs; cook 1 1/2 minutes or until set. Remove from heat.
4. Sprinkle cheese lengthwise down center of dough, leaving about a 2 1/2-inch border on each side. Spoon egg mixture evenly over cheese. Sprinkle more cheese over egg mixture, top with jalapeño peppers if desired.
5. Wrap the edges of the dough over the top of the egg mixture and press into place. Brush the top with the remainder of the eggs. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool and cut crosswise into slices.